The ITLS Advanced Course is an intense 2-days learning experience dealing with the recognition and management of trauma and trauma associated syndromes. The course aims to teach an innovative and structured approach in managing victims of trauma. The ITLS course builds on this knowledge, emphasizing evaluation steps and sequencing as well as techniques for resuscitating and packaging patients.
The Advanced Provider course material requires the ability to start intravenous fluids and to perform advanced airway management. Advanced airway management is defined as the use of a blind insertion airway device, or endotracheal tube. This limits the full course to advanced EMTs, paramedics, medical students, registered nurses, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and physicians.
Hands-on stations with topics covered include:
* Initial approach and scene size-up
* Assessment of the trauma victim using the ITLS approach
* Airway management and access in the trauma victim
* Head and spinal injuries
* Thoracic trauma
* Abdominal trauma
* Extremity trauma
* Trauma in the elderly and the young
* Trauma patients under the influence of drugs and alcohol
* Patient assessment and management
* Basic and advanced airway management
* Needle chest decompression and fluid resuscitation
* Spinal motion restriction – rapid extrication, short back board, helmet management, log roll, and long back board/ scoop stretcher/ utilization
* Extremity immobilization and traction splint application
Who Should Attend
The course is ideal for advanced EMTs, paramedics, trauma nurses, physicians and other advanced EMS personnel.
Day 1 : 9pm to 6pm
Day 2: 9am to 6pm
(excludes time for remediation and reassessments)